NY Lady Cobras Mission Statement
- Identify young competitive female athletes who actively demonstrate the skill, commitment and attitude to take the sport of fastpitch softball to the highest levels.
- Help strengthen their individual and team skills, challenge their competitive spirit, and in turn, prepare them to excel at the high school and collegiate levels.
There are three main skills that we have chosen as our main focus for the season:
· Teach advanced fundamental skills of fast pitch softball as well as the rules of the game.
· Stress the importance of mastering those fundamental skills in order to advance to the next level of competition.
· Provide an opportunity to compete at the highest level available.
· Develop players' athletic ability to their full potential by promoting physical fitness & striving for perfection.
· Require that our players always give 100% at all practices and games.
· Teach our players to listen and follow directions.
· Instill responsibility in our players by having rules and consequences for violating those rules.
· Develop a work ethic in our players by requiring them to raise funds in order to play in tournaments.
· Teach our players that they must set their goals high and work hard to achieve them.
· Develop self-discipline and leadership qualities in our players.
· Help our players to develop confidence and pride, and to increase their self-esteem.
· Demand that our players always exhibit a positive attitude.
· Teach our players to have respect for authority.
· Teach our players to respect their teammates, as well as to have self-respect.
· Teach our players responsibility by making them responsible for team equipment that is issued to them, as well as making them responsible for getting to team functions (games, practices, fundraisers, etc) on time.
· Develop high morals and good sportsmanship and teach fair play.
· Instill in our players the importance of teamwork, taking personal responsibility for their actions, and honoring their commitments to their teammates.
· Teach our players to have pride in our team.
Traveling fast pitch softball is highly competitive and equal playing time is not guaranteed for the players. However, the coaches will make every effort to play all of the players in every tournament. Every player for the Lady Cobras has equal access to all the opportunities that the team provides for our players. What she does with those opportunities is totally left up to each player. We hope all of our players will work hard and make the most of these opportunities. However, playing time and positions are not rights that are given to our players; they are privileges that are EARNED by our players. Players for the Lady Cobras EARN their positions and playing time based on their ability, attitude, attendance, and hustle.
Our coaching philosophy and methods go well beyond teaching the basic fundamentals of fast pitch softball. We teach our players to learn the game and strategy of fast pitch softball. We feel that is very important that they fully understand everything that takes place on the softball field. One of our goals is to totally eliminate mental errors in tournament play.
Another part of our coaching philosophy is stressing the importance of teamwork. Our players must learn to play as a team. An important part of this is learning to trust and depend on your teammates. It is also very important that every player accepts what role they play on the team. When we win, we win as a team. And, when we lose, we lose as a team.
In order for us to achieve our goals, we must have a good core group of like-minded and fully committed families. Our success depends on the full commitment of the coaches, families, and players. All of our players, coaches, and parents are expected to follow our code of conduct that will promote the values we are attempting to instill in our players.